Forest Hills is embarking on the process of updating its 14-year old Comprehensive Plan. By state law, all municipalities must have a Comprehensive Plan, which in the past, have been long, complicated documents that often are not used, go quickly out of date, and sit on the proverbial shelf. We want a new sort of plan, one that is pragmatic, identifies important community issues, and creates a short-term implementation strategy that yields real results.
Keys to a successful comprehensive plan include:
- Create a community vision. Forest Hills should establish a simple statement of its aspirations priorities, values, and character.
- Focus on relevant priority issues. Identify Forest Hills’ problems, needs, and opportunities such as managing a highway corridor, revitalizing our business district, promoting more walking and biking, encouraging historic preservation, or creating an action plan to address climate change locally.
- Organize the planning process by priority issues. Community meetings should be work sessions to generate ideas and find solutions for the focal issues.
- Devise workable recommendations with action plans. Assign responsibility and identify who, how, and when will tasks be implemented.
- Build community ownership and commitment. It will take the whole community to implement the plan.
In order for us to achieve success, we need the community to take part in creating a new plan. If you are interested in serving on the Steering Committee, you can volunteer! Contact Richard Fosbrink at email@example.com.
Mark these dates on your calendar and please plan to attend at least one:
Wednesday August 29, 2018 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm Fire Station
Saturday September 15, 2018 10:00 am- 12:00 pm Pool Lodge
Thursday September 20, 2018 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm Borough Building